October 1, 2013
Bundled, Tossed, Untied And Stacked
By Tom Spurgeon
* cover and plot synopsis for the forthcoming Blacksad
. That is a very
* the hobby business news and analysis site ICv2.com had a nice piece up
about Ed Brubaker approving of Marvel's plan to collect a bunch of his Winter Soldier
material in a complete, one-and-done way in anticipation of next year's Winter Soldier-related Captain America
movie. Brubaker is right in that Marvel has rarely been able to capitalize on movie interest by giving retailers a single point to point to. Although, on the other hand, they seem to do a pretty good job of collecting material according to featured writer.
* speaking of Marvel Comics, I ran this link
last week as a noteworthy creator interview, but you could also process it as some insight into how Marvel engages with a major storyline being folded into all of its books. It sounds like a feasible plan: the Kirby Inhumans concept is under-developed compared to a lot of similar Jack Kirby creations the company manages; Matt Fraction is an interesting writer and Oliver Coipel and Joe Madureira are artists with a significant fan base in that world of comics. There's a science fiction itch that comics is beginning to uncover in the way comics does, by letting various projects and ideas kind of bubble to the surface, that might be well served here.
* Joanna Moorhead profiles Katie Green
on the publication of her story Lighter Than My Shadow
* Viz sets its sights
on India. Everyone should be setting their sights on India.
* there will apparently be a new series featuring the She-Hulk character
* new Serenity comics
. New Pretender comics
. New Skyman comics
* holy crud, it's a collection of early Julie Doucet material
* finally, I dream of the day I'll be so caught up on my publishing news that I don't miss out on such releases, but Ellen Lindner has a first book in her Black Feather Falls series available for order
. I'm told that Lindner was at SPX a couple weekends ago in support of this work, published in print by Soaring Penguin, but I never saw her.
posted 5:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives