June 23, 2015
Bundled, Tossed, Untied And Stacked: Publishing News
By Tom Spurgeon
* not sure I knew about a third Billy Hazelnuts book on the horizon
* this Paul Pope cover will adorn the next iteration of The Badger
, a reasonably popular 1980s indie-superhero character that never quite found its creative footing back then and hasn't in a few relaunch tries since. I wish them luck. I have a younger brother who is very fond of the character.
* they may be running out of titles
* Marvel will be doing a new Doctor Strange comic with Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo
. I don't know everything about mainstream comics, but those are super-solid creators and rank even higher on an available talent scale with some of the talent hours that Marvel has lost to Image Comics recently. That indicates the character is a priority, which makes sense with a movie coming out. That's not a character with which Marvel has done all that well compared to the rich assortment of stories in the bank for the other 1960s characters. There's a lot of untapped potential there which is really odd considering how exhausted most Marvel/DC characters seem these days.
* far bigger news for Marvel is that they'll be doing a comic about the Miles Morales character
in the standard Marvel comics "universe." That's a popular character, and the way he connects with a certain fanbase that sees themselves in him is quite admirable.
* I'm not exactly sure why I have the information in this form
, but that indicates a new series from Jeff Lemire, Emi Lenox and Jordie Bellaire
. That's something to look forward to.
* Drawn and Quarterly
has gone more than a day without announcing anything.
* finally, Z2 Comics has announced a number of releases through an announcement in PW
, a combination of stand-alone trades and periodical series. Here's a story just on the periodicals
. Judging from the prices it is getting through abebooks.com, that Pekar/Remnant Cleveland
book might prove to be a particularly smart pick-up.
posted 1:35 am PST
Daily Blog Archives