December 6, 2013
By Request Extra: Today's 2013 Holiday Season Advocacy Sales And Needed Fundraising Updates
By Tom Spurgeon
* we've had a lot of sales with an advocacy element, straight-up fundraisers and calls for attention spring up the last seven days or so. Let me see if I can get most if not all of the major ones into one post. God bless you if have the money and inclination to buy and/or give.
* Zak Sally is having a big sale in honor of La Mano's 21st birthday
. It's not tied into any specific need about which I'm aware, but Sally is an admirable comics-maker and publisher in that he plows just about everything back into his company so every dollar thrown his way is a good thing. That Deitch offering is great if you know someone that has all the Deitch books.
* Dan Nadel continues his 50 percent off sale at PictureBox
as that company winds down the front-list part of its admirable life.
* a big one for this season, at least from my vantage point, is the effort to raise money via art auction and direct donation
for Stan Sakai, caught in an home healthcare shortfall regarding beloved wife Sharon. I am happy to process any direct donations via paypal if that's easier for you than sending money via check -- I'm at firstname.lastname@example.org via that mechanism. A few of you have already taken me up on this, for which I'm grateful.
* the cartoonist and photographer Julia Wertz has a bunch of art and photos up at her Etsy shop
, which is a rare thing.
* there are out there a few charitable efforts facilitated by comics people or comics art where the proceeds are going to folks outside of the industry. Rina Ayuyang is raising money via art auctions of various alt-comics heavy-hitters to benefit Philippines typhoon relief
. This will be the last round of those auctions. Someone sent in a link to get you where you'll find a cartoonist-heavy campaign
to benefit charities working with the horrific reality of human trafficking. Meanwhile, the veteran writer Ron Marz is arranging eBay auctions
to benefit kids. There are also ongoing efforts like Hero Initiative
, Aurora Rise
, the CBLDF
and Child's Play
* the Sequential Artists Workshop is seeking a few thousand dollars in support of its 2014 programs
. Tom Hart and Leela Corman are some of the best people, and would put any money raised to good use.
* in case you missed today's stand-alone post, here's information on how to send money to critic Rob Clough
, who could definitely make use of it.
* Mark Newgarden and Megan Montague Cash set up this Facebook page
to facilitate a sale to help pay off recent flooding damage. They seem to be very nice people.
* finally, congratulations to Fantagraphics
the image is a page of Julia Wertz art for sale
posted 8:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives