May 28, 2018
Comics By Request: People, Places In Need Of Funding
By Tom Spurgeon
* totally missed this: a Market Day animation with music project by Lainie Fefferman
. The original is an evocative coimcs work by James Sturm that would work well in multiple, cross-media iterations, I bet.
* I know just pointing at Patreon campaigns like some sort of on-line comics tourist visiting ComicsLand for the first time is about the least cool thing I can do, but I hope in pay more explicit attention to individual offerings I'll end with a more systematic approach to the entirety of them. This week I stumbled across an old link to Chuck Forsman
's which promised a very specific direct offering. I also got a nice note from Dave Kellett reminding me that the podcast he does with Brad Gugar, ComicLab, is patreon-supported as well
. I think the historical framework with which to understand this is late '80s/early '90s self-publishing but with revolving bank credit rendered completely unnecessary.
* I haven't checked in on it for a while, but the crowd-funder to help get Sloane Leong to Angouleme
for a residency seems to have slowed down short of its initial goals and could use some attention.
* this person looks like they could use some consideration
* finally: speaking of gofundme efforts, the one for Bill and Nadine Messner-Loebs is currently a little over $17k made on a $25k goal
. This is for money to help stabilize their housing situation. While there are some long-term challenges there, that initial chunk of money to help clear a couple or an individual of immediate danger is always crucial.
posted 1:25 am PST
Daily Blog Archives