September 24, 2018
Comics By Request: People, Places In Need Of Funding
By Tom Spurgeon
* here's Ngozi Ukazu and Taneka Stotts on what crowd-funding has meant to each comics-maker's career
* I'm not sure I have a whole lot to put here today. I find searching Kickstarter difficult if not impossible anymore, in terms of yielding results that aren't the same results and I find both Kickstarter and Indiegogo difficult in terms of loading results with successful fundraisers rather than just fundraisers.
* this is a sweet story
* one thing I will mention, in case it's the only thing I'm able to post: I hope people will consider donating to the crowdfunder for people that are being sued by Cody Pickrodt
. People have been generous but the number of people that have given worry me; that's roughly 1 out of every five people that attends an SPX, where I would think quadruple that number would have a direct interest in supporting. I think those numbers should be more significant, and I further feel that a significant number of creators at all levels and in all forms should give. There will be corporate donations and ways to goose this to make it happen, but it would be nice if we get the biggest possible showing out of the initial, standard ask before Warren Bernard smartly -- and he'll do it smartly -- primes the pump. The strongest initial response we can muster is not on the organizers or the beneficiaries. It's on us.
* people keep giving to Jim Wheelock
, although at this point I think it's fair to hope for an angel to do a major step-in, if one is out there.
* finally: one that I lost track of because I never saw it was the Comics Comics project
with which Brendan Wright was involved. It did fine.
posted 1:25 am PST
Daily Blog Archives