August 12, 2013
Comics By Request -- People, Projects In Need Of Funding
By Tom Spurgeon
* some of the more recent mini-fundraising efforts by comics people with whom you might be familiar came from David Lasky
, Tom Neely
and Shannon Smith
. I'm sure they could all still use some patronage, although I'm not sure those exact individual deals/sales are all still going on. Couldn't hurt to check, though.
* it also couldn't hurt to head over to Simon Hanselmann's site and see what is left that is being offered art-wise
* the writer Don McGregor and the artist Trevor Von Eeden are the talents involved in a Sabre
-related project seeking crowd-funding; details here
* PictureBox is still having a sale
* the Strongman project has a ways to go to meet its goal
* always a fan of people just asking for travel money
. That seems like a thing that's going away.
* finally, I'll mention this here since I haven't yet: the late Jack Kirby's 96th birthday would have been the 28th of this month had he lived this long. I'm hoping people will consider doing something
in Kirby's name on that day. I'm donating $9.60 to the Hero Initiative
, which is a charity that the Kirby Family seems to endorse. I don't care to make this a thing, or to secure credit for having made a specific suggestion. That feels weird to type, even. I don't care to encourage you to donate in a specific way, through a specific site or with a specific person/organization
in mind beyond the memory of Kirby himself -- I just hope you'll maybe consider doing something on that day or in anticipation of that day in memory of that foundational comics-maker. I figure it's all bottom-line good, no matter how you do it.
posted 4:10 am PST
Daily Blog Archives