March 21, 2013
Doug Wright Awards Announce 2013 Finalists Slate; Albert Chartier To Become "Giant Of The North"
The Doug Wright Awards announced this morning that the late Albert Chartier
will enter The Giants Of The North: The Canadian Cartoonists Hall Of Fame this morning. They also announced the 2013 finalists slate for its awards program. Ethan Rilly, Michael DeForge and Michael Comeau are among the Canadian stalwarts that enter into this year's program as past winners and present nominees, given this year's awards a kind of next-generation look all-around.
* Lose #4 by Michael DeForge (Koyama Press)
* By This Shall You Know Him by Jesse Jacobs (Koyama Press)
* The Song of Roland by Michel Rabagliati (Conundrum Press)
* Pope Hats #3 by Ethan Rilly (AdHouse Books)
* Wax Cross by Tin Can Forest (Koyama Press)
Doug Wright Spotlight Award (a.k.a. "The Nipper")
* Nina Bunjevac for Heartless (Conundrum Press)
* Brandon Graham for King City (Image Comics)
* Patrick Kyle for Black Mass, Distance Mover, Wowee Zonk #4
* George Walker for The Mysterious Death of Tom Thomson -- The Porcupine's Quill
* Eric Kostiuk Williams for Hungry Bottom Comics
Pigskin Peters Award (Experimental/Avant-Garde Comics)
* Hamilton Illustrated by David Collier (Wolsak & Wynn)
* Hellberta #2
and "Sir Softly" from s! #12
, by Michael Comeau
* Michael DeForge, Larry Eisenstein, Jesse Jacobs, Mark Laliberte (editor), Marc Ngui, Ethan Rilly, Tin Can Forest and Magda Trzaski from 4PANEL
, a special comics feature in Carousel Magazine
* Ginette Lapalme
for "So, what should we do with ourselves?..." from Wowee Zonk
#4 and "Little Stump" in s!
The event will be held on May 11 in conjunction with the Toronto Comic Arts Festival. It is their ninth year.
posted 5:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives