April 20, 2014
FFF Results Post #376 -- Party Party Party
On Friday, CR
readers were asked to "Name Five Parties Related To Comics, Fictional Or Real-Life, You Would Like To Have Attended." This how they responded.
1. The party at HR Costigan's house in "100 Rooms."
2. That one party in Japan at the end of Uncanny X-Men #119 near Christmastime because I really, really liked those comics growing up.
3. That party they threw for Jack Kirby at San Diego for his 75th birthday.
4. One of the old underground comix parties in San Francisco.
5. One of the single-digit-old Rueben Awards dinners when it was all cigars and cosplay "dates."
1) The weekend-long jam that produced Human Torch #5, 1941
2) The party at the end of the Gillen/McKelvie run of Young Avengers
3) One of the final-panel feasts in the Gaulish village in Asterix
4) The "Exploding Colossal Man" festival seen in X-Force #75
5) The party depicted on Erika Moen and Lucy Knisley's "Sexy Times" poster
1. Luau on the Justice League Satellite from JLA/Avengers #3
2. The Troy/Long wedding reception from Tales of the Teen Titans #50
3. Rev. Scot Sloan's '60s-revival costume party (Doonesbury, week of Dec. 9, 1974)
4. Post-invasion get-together at the New York JLI embassy, Justice League International #24
5. The blowout celebrating Prime Superman's return, DC One Million #4
1. Prom night 2014 with Luann, Quill, Gunther, and Rosa
2. That Christmas for Shacktown thanx to Huey, Dewey & Louie's Junior Woodchuck ingenuity and Unca Scrooge's money
3. The cookout in "Grass Roots" the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers threw for their fellow commune dwellers and backwoods neighbors ending with everybody dancing around a bonfire singing "Let's all get drunk and go naked / Let's all get drunk and go naked / Let's all get drunk and go naked / And lie in a great big pile!"
4. One of several parties in the late 1930s to late 1940s where L. Ron Hubbard told his fellow pulpateers and sci-fi scribes that if he really wanted to make a million, he'd start his own religion.
5. The SDCC after-con party in the late 1980s with Frank Miller and Flint Dille and Roger Slifer smoking cigars & cigarettes, drinking beer & bourbon, discussing art, comics, and the fate of the world until the wee hours of the morning -- oh, wait, I was at that party
1. The celebration at the beginning of American Flagg #2, after Reuben prevented the GoGangs rampage for the first time.
2. That evening that Maggie and Ray (and Daffy) went to Ray’s apartment and listened to the Replacements in Love & Rockets #24. (Is three people too small to be considered a party?)
3. Any of the various parties or gatherings in Paul Pope’s 100%.
4. Any of the classic EC Comics holiday parties from the 1950s.
5. Both of the parties Buddy Bradley attends in “Hippy House” (Neat Stuff #9)
1. Party/memorial for Mark Gruenwald, where, according to Mark's wishes, everyone sat on whoopee cushions at the same time.
2. MAD party where the staff re-enacted the Marx Brothers crowded state-room scene for the benefit of a delighted Bill Gaines.
3. That cookout at John Byrne's house where the Marvel staff burnt Jim Shooter in effigy.
4. Party at Bill Kartalopoulos's (and co.'s) apartment, the legendary Cartoon House.
5. 100 Rooms party
1. The Rutland Halloween party at Tom Fagan's place as shown in Batman #237
2. The original Alley Tally Party from 1964
3. The 1969 Comic Art Convention Luncheon
4. Any of William Gaines' Mad trips between 1965-1975
5. An end-of-the-adventure feast from any Asterix story
1. That party above the rooftops with Howard Chaykin during Munich's Comicfestival in 2011
2. Partycipating in Garth Ennis' and Darick Robertson's "superhero bacchanalia
" like it has been shown in The Boys Mini-Series "Herogasm":
3. One of those happening at the end of every Asterix adventure
4. Would love to be a guest at that odd party
being thrown in Thomas Wellmann's "The Meaning Of Life":
5. Any party in Riverdale
posted 12:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives