Go, Look: GLAAD Announces Its Media Awards Nominees, Including Its Usual Attention To Comic Books
You can read a general article about the awards here. It's nice to see a broader range of books noted in the nominees stage than in the awards program's first few years, where the lists focused on superhero comics. It still doesn't feel very alt-y, even in the broadest way that is defined, but there are now wider definitions of the kind of mainstream entertainments that these awards have always covered. It makes for a more interesting list, anyway.
* America by Gabby Rivera, Joe Quinones, Ming Doyle, Stacey Lee, Ramon Villalobos, Walden Wong, Jen Bartel, Annie Wu, Aud Koch, Flaviano, Joe Rivera, Paolo Rivera, José Villarrubia, Jordan Gibson, Tamra Bonvillain, Brittany Peer, Rachelle Rosenberg and Travis Lanham (Marvel Comics)
* The Backstagers by James Tynion IV, Rian Sygh, Walter Baiamonte and Jim Campbell (BOOM! Studios)
* Batwoman by Marguerite Bennett, James Tynion IV, Steve Epting, Jeromy N. Cox, Stephanie Hans, Renato Arlem, Adriano Honorato Lucas, Fernando Blanco, John Rauch and Deron Bennett (DC Comics)
* Black Panther: World of Wakanda by Roxane Gay, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Yona Harvey, Rembert Browne, Alitha E. Martinez, Manny Mederos, Joe Bennett, Afua Richardson, Roberto Poggi, Tamra Bonvillain, Rachelle Rosenberg, Virtual Calligraphy and Joe Sabino (Marvel Comics)
* this is an interesting piece of news, that DC Comics looks like it will be taking a deep dive into gathering up all the various properties that Alan Moore made and to which they have some claim. So much for the last vestiges of their ineffectual firewall. I wish they would uphold the spirit of at least one of their agreements with the writer, if only for novelty's sake. I don't understand why they're doing this in that these are good characters that don't hold a lot of market oomph. They're basically pissing off future and current talent for the sake of like 800 more copies sold and conceivably a chance at a slightly better story. In life more generally we've reached a kind of end of the world scramble after pennies and nickels, so at least this move fits the spirit of the time.