August 3, 2012
Missed It: A Bunch Of Really Old News Briefs
Here's a small group of most self-evident stories that for some reason or another did not find their way into Random News. I apologize for their lateness. What tends to happen is that I think, "Oh, yeah, that'll be its own post" and then I go back to my usual workday routine of smoking pot, eating Boo Berries and watching random episodes of F Troop
on Hulu.com (aka "Living The Dream"). I do think they're all worth noting, though, so I'm going to eschew my usual make-up strategy of ignoring the stories for a really long time and sheepishly deleting the original e-mails on Labor Day.
* the School Of Visual Arts announced
they'll be adding an MFA in Visual Narrative program to be chaired by Nathan Fox. I guess this was initially proclaimed at HeroesCon, which is a totally awesome place to tell people about your new career move. I recognize Matt Madden, Dan Nadel and Matt Rota on the faculty list that's at the end of that release.
* the Small Press Expo made another donation
to the SPX Collection at the Library Of Congress, including samples of Keith Knight's daily The Knight Life
. As I recall, Keith Knight was attending those Expos a grown-up person's worth of lifetime ago.
* Forbidden Planet on Broadway in New York, one of those stores that has something of an identity outside of the comics world for what it does inside the comics world, moved up/down the street to a new location late last month
. At least I figured that came off; I haven't heard otherwise. I was a little confused by this announcement since I'd heard it on the premises last December. I know it takes a while to close on an NYC real estate deal, but I wondered if that was an even newer announcement so I didn't run the PR. Something like that, anyway. I'm sure the New York bloggers covered the crap out of it. That store certainly could have used a new space, and I hope it works for them.
* Mario Candelaria
turned 28 back on July 12, and even though he sent me a nice e-mail wondering if he could be added to the birthday roll I pushed past him and stepped on his birthday cake on my way to yet another dreary post about Before Watchmen
. Sorry, Mario. Hope it was a good one. You're in the system now.
* the cartoonist Mysh ran into some problems last May with his Facebook presence
. It's nearly impossible to unspool what the heck is going on with something like that, but I'm happy to note that it happened, particularly to have something up in case it continues to happen.
* finally, I'm almost certain I covered the launch of digital comics publisher/facilitator Madefire by now, but I noticed I did get the "Maybe you didn't notice, but..." e-mail they sent out pretty soon after their launch. So in case I didn't and you count on this site for that kind of information I humbly apologize and here you go
posted 2:00 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives