May 29, 2018
Missed It: Your 2018 Doug Wright Awards Winners
The Doug Wright Awards for the best in Canadian English-Language comics had their yearly ceremony the Saturday evening of TCAF at the Marriott Bloor/Yorkville. Winners were Jess Jacobs, Jenn Woodall and Sami Alwani, while Duncan MacPherson was inducted into the Giants Of The North Hall Of Fame.
One distinguishing factor for this year's show was a move to a smaller ballroom for the ceremony, causing a few latecomers to join the bar crowd downstairs earlier than usual. A much more important way this show will be remembered is for its attention to beloved Canadian comics Annie Koyama and her anniversary-having Koyama Press.
Winners in bold.
THE 2018 DOUG WRIGHT BEST BOOK AWARD (BEST ENGLISH-LANGUAGE GN PUBLISHED IN CANADA)
* Hostage (Drawn & Quarterly) Guy Delisle
* I'm Not Here (Koyama Press) GG
* Crawl Space (Koyama Press) Jesse Jacobs
* The Abominable Mr. Seabrook (Drawn & Quarterly) Joe Ollmann
* Anti-Gone (Koyama Press) Connor Willumsen
THE 2018 DOUG WRIGHT SPOTLIGHT AWARD/"THE NIPPER" (COMICS-MAKER OR TEAM DESERVING OF WIDER RECOGNITION
* Kris Bertin and Alexander Forbes, The Case of the Missing Men (Conundrum Press)
* Gillian Blekkenhorst, All-Inclusive Fully Automated Vacation and House of Strays
* Eric Kostiuk Williams, Condo Heartbreak Disco (Koyama Press)
* Jason Loo, The Pitiful Human-Lizard Nos. 12, 13 and 14 (Chapterhouse Comics)
* Jenn Woodall, Magical Beatdown Volume Two and Marie and Worrywart
THE PIGSKIN PETERS AWARD (EXPERIMENTAL, UNCONVENTIONAL, AVANT-GARDE)
* The Dead Father, Sami Alwani
* The Death of the Master, Patrick Kyle
* Crohl's House Nos. 1 & 2, Alexander Laird, Jamiel Rahi and Robert Laird
* Creation: The First Three Chapters, Sylvia Nickerson
* Potluck, Wavering Line Collective
Duncan Macpherson (1924-1993) was an editorial cartoonist at various publications during the bulk of the second half of the 20th Century. He died in 1993, after having won multiple awards and receiving nearly every honor available to a Canadian cartoonist. His award was accepted by his son.
This year's jury was Bo Doodley, Jim Munroe, Marc Ngui and Pamela Marie Pierce. Nominating committee was Adrian Doran, Alexander Hoffman, Betty Liang, and Conan Tobias -- they also chose the Pigskin Peters winner, apparently.
Dustin Harbin was the host and R Sikoryak drew there ceremony live and in the room.
posted 1:35 am PST
Daily Blog Archives