January 4, 2013
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* whoa, Jacques Tardi
* Michael Cavna notes
that the NCS has split its webcomics divisional awards category into short- and long-form designations.
* Brigid Alverson has posted a comic form Dylan Williams, The Story Of Hank Williams
* Bob Temuka on some old Bronze Age comics
. Henry Chamberlain on Batman, Inc. #6
* Corey Blake wonders
when comics will get serious about a union/guild/whatever.
* Chris Ware talks about his Newtown-related cover for The New Yorker
* I'm at the point where I'm just sort of randomly collecting Best-Of and related lists. I sometimes wonder if a single comic was published in 2012 that didn't make some list somewhere. Okay, I'm sure there are comics that haven't, but it seems like a really significant spread of both these lists and the comics on them. I don't have any opinion on whether that's a good thing or not, but it's a thing. Here's what is in my bookmarks folder: Richard Bruton
, Four Colors And The Truth
, AV Club
, Buzz Dixon
, someone racking books at the McNally Jackson in NYC
, Alec Reads Comics
, comiks debris
and Comics Bulletin
. The second to last one there is probably closest to my own sensibility.
* Heidi MacDonald would like you to know how to keep reading The Beat
* I nearly missed this pretty New Year's greeting from Lewis Trondheim
. Here are some Christmas card
s from various cartoonists.
* 50 Watts shows love to Barrel Of Monkeys
* Paul Gravett profiles Sergio Toppi
* Jon Gorga picks his best... of 2011
* hey, a big run of The Gumps
* Jeff Trexler explains
how a recent settlement in Smallville
-related litigation may relate to ongoing, wider legal action regarding the family of the original creators of Superman-related things.
* finally, on-line reviewing veteran Don MacPherson walks through 2012
posted 11:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives