February 11, 2013
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* Johanna Draper Carlson is no longer a judge with the Glyph Awards
* Jim Rugg and Conor Stechschulte draw in ballpoint pen
. Patrick Dean draws monsters
. Not sure if it's widely viewable, but Lauren Weinstein draws her kid and her dog
. Steve Rude draws a Jack Kirby cover
. Brandon Graham draws Neuromancer fan art
. Jack Kirby draws Lightray
* Matt Madden is funny
* not comics: super-cute Battle Royale-related poster
* there's some wonderful-looking George McManus material here
. I don't think there's any cartoonist with whom I experience a bigger gap between the pleasure I get looking at his material and the disinterest I have trying to read a bunch of it, but that's probably on me.
* Josh Kopin writes about
Marvel promoting its next event comic with a video commercial. I think what's most impressive about that commercial is they get to use the Marvel placeholder that runs in front of the films. That makes you pay attention if you're a fan of those movies, or at least I guess it might. I actually believe the future of advertising media is some sort of electronically-enabled direct reaching out as opposed to mass make-you-notice stuff, but something like this can play a role in that kind of thing, too.
* I thought this
was Jaime when I first saw the screen.
* Corey Blake would like to cover your digital comics news
* congratulations to Jim Gibbons on his promotion to associate editor
* not comics: reading Abhay Khosla walking around Las Vegas is fun
, but I want to say for the record that anyone that was in their 20s in the '90s likely has some sort of extremely booze-fueled memory of Casino Royale, the closest Las Vegas of that era ever got to a hipster dive bar.
* Sean Gaffney on Alice in the Country of Joker: Circus and Liar’s Game Vol. 1
. Grant Goggans on a bunch more Legion Of Super-Heroes comics
. J. Caleb Mozzocco on Fluffy, Fluffy, Cinnamoroll Vol. 5
. Lauren Davis on Mother Ship Blues
. Matthew Brady on Groo The Wanderer #69
* Paul Gravett really does know everybody
* finally, Sean Kleefeld writes about Nemo and snow
posted 11:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives