March 12, 2014
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
is quite the enjoyable little comic that Tom Gauld tweeted out; starting your day with it is better option than a lot of day-starting things.
* Todd Klein on Astro City #8
. Chris Mautner on Wicked Chicken Queen
. Greg Burgas on "Water Hole!
" from Blazing Combat
#3. That is one handsome comic. Mike Sterling on Trypto The Acid Dog #1
. Jessie Bi on Pompeii
. Matt White on cold-weather comics
. Rob Clough on the comics of Jimmy Gownley
. Sean Gaffney on One Piece, Vol. 70
* what a great photo of LB Cole
* any article that references Adam X The Xtreme is okay with me
. It's more of a rambling comments thread wearing an article's wig and jacket, but that character is gold wherever.
* Heidi MacDonald talks to Ted Adams
* can you feel the French comics theory fever building
* wouldn't Steve Lieber be the best teacher
* Sean Kleefeld writes about how learning more about the technical process
of making comics made him walk back a criticism he had of cultural short-sightedness concerning a specific character.
* Stuart Immonen, wrapped up
* oh, to drink a beer with a glorious Jim Woodring label on it
* someone saw that I made a Zen Pencils joke on twitter
and sent me a link to Abhay Khosla's game-over takedown
of the cartoonist's work, from a year-end round-up. That is brutal, and it stands out because you usually don't see critics in the 50-and-under age bracket going after the general sensibility of a work. That was much more common in the late 1980s.
* Zac Thompson talks to Alison Sampson and Nathan Edmondson
* Bully makes me laugh
. Jaime Hernandez makes me stare
. Roger Langridge makes me remember the 1990s
. Jillian Tamaki makes me like Stoya
* I don't really know how a Bhob Stewart piece on Howard Nostrand
ended up in my bookmarks folder other than the general explanation that I'm so old I have a bookmarks folder, but I'm not going to complain about it being there. It's a fun piece, and Stewart was really good writing only-article-you-need pieces on artists like that.
* finally, Geoffrey Lapid takes a look at a single page from Daredevil #193
posted 1:05 am PST
Daily Blog Archives