March 18, 2013
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* I forgot to mention this last week when it was still fresh news, but the Boston Phoenix has closed
. That was a once-great alt-weekly with which I've had little direct interaction in the last ten years or so -- it looks like I wasn't the only one. It feels like -- feels like
-- that this may be a classic case of newspaper collapse, in that the model at which the Phoenix
was successful wasn't going to make the trip into the next set of years and the publication and its staff was ill-equipped to adjust to new realities even though they gave it a shot. The last time we heard from the publication was when they fired the cartoonist Karl Stevens; Stevens is quoted in the article.
* here's one I've been waiting for: RC Harvey on the new Al Capp biography
. Louis Falcetti on Wolverine #1
. Edward Gauvin on So Long, Silver Screen
. Maxwell Majernik on Age Of Ultron #2
* I know this sounds odd, but a lot of really fun art these days comes out of the gaming habits of cartoonists
* Matt Maxwell says the funniest thing about this
is the redaction bar, and I think he's right.
* Beau Smith says
comics needs to diversify or die. I'm scared to death of Smith, so when he mentions dying, I perk up.
* I like this Clara Bessijelle drawing
* the New York Times profiles
the AIDS-awareness comic AIDS In The End Zone
* Jaime is the best one
he is working with the CBLDF on a print.
* Kirby, Kirby, Kirby
. Leyendecker, Leyendecker, Leyendecker
's something I caught late, adding Sonia Harris' ECCC con report to the collective memory: Roberta Gregory is looking for some on-line assistance, work-related. Roberta is super-nice, so I hope someone out there can help her if this hasn't already happened.
* Dave Richards talks to Jason Aaron
. Steve Sunu talks to JH Williams III
. Tereixa Constenla profiles Matt Madden
* I'm always a little creeped out by right assignations as a part of the rules for something, but the one in this contest
makes sense. That sounds like a pretty good contest.
* Alan Gardner has collected all of Andrews McMeel's recent video work with Lincoln Peirce into one place
. It's several videos instead of just a few, otherwise I probably would have put it up in the video parade.
* check out the vintage Dan Clowes comic book back-matter
, including a hilarious letter from Gilbert Hernandez.
* a lot of artistic talent in this photo
* finally: whoa, original art from Airtight Garage
posted 2:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives