April 28, 2008
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* according to reports in local media
, David Pirkola, the co-owner of Apparitions Comics and Games in Kentwood, Michigan, was shot and hospitalized during a robbery attempt at his store on Friday evening. As of this writing on Sunday morning, the 56-year-old was in critical but stable condition. Anyone with information is asked to call the local police. A related thread at the Bendis Board
might be a place to go to for more immediate updates.
* the cartoonist Richard Mayer has been elected
into the Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame.
* the musician, one-time cartoonist and media personality Humphrey Lyttleton has died at age 86.
I know this is weird, but I thought this happened a year ago, so I wonder if it may be a few anniversary articles or something.
* we need many more cartoonists named Osbert
* finally, I heard from a cartoonist who visited the Pittsburgh Con that used to be run by now-convicted murderer and former retailer Michael George. His observations on "Murder Con" (a joke appellation given the con by some fans): empty; a lot of dealers didn't show up; lots of artists in Artists Alley but very few names; really empty, the Expo Mart that has housed the show for a long time will be torn down this year.
posted 3:30 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives