June 6, 2014
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* Tom Murphy on Ordinary #1
. Kevin Church on Nijigahara Holograph
. Tom Murphy on Trees #1
. Rob Clough on Maria M
. Todd Klein on Detective Comics #31
. J. Caleb Mozzocco on Wolverine: In The Flesh #1
. Frank Santoro on Ritual #3
. Rob McMonigal on The Black Feather Falls Book Two
* there is nothing more beautiful than the mostly-handmade comics rack at a major comic book store
. Okay, that's not true. But I like looking at them.
* this shirtless, masked-up, gloved-up Batman and whatever they call Dick Grayson now
fight is a missive straight from the howling mad heart of modern comic books.
* the retailer Mike Sterling isn't fond of
the lingering "New 52" designation.
* Andy Yates talks to Jim Rugg
. Matt Emery talks to Ben Hutchings
* I'm not really into speculative articles about forthcoming comics-related movies
-- I figure those people know what they're doing for the most part, and are likely to make choices different than my own -- but it's always nice to see Dr. Strange
art. You know, I don't like many of the Dr. Strange
comics from his entire history save for the Ditko era, and don't care for some of the more recent iterations that a lot of people liked. So I hope they make some good comics if there's to be increased attention to that character.
* Sean Kleefeld talks about one way that mainstream comics get into trouble on issues racism or sexism: their casts aren't diverse enough to provide multiple points of view. I think that's particularly true of the superhero universes, which are supposedly representative of entire galaxies, as opposed to the casts of comics like both major Love & Rockets
serials or Doonesbury
* here is PW's BEA report
* finally, I have no idea why this comic
about Jack Kirby ended up back in my bookmarks, but I enjoyed reading it again.
posted 1:05 am PST
Daily Blog Archives