June 7, 2012
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* it went up pretty late in the day yesterday, so in case you missed it: D+Q announced a third book in their relationship with manga master Shigeru Mizuki
, this one from the Kitaro
property by which the cartoonist made his name. That one should be fun to have.
* James Sturm talks to Blaise Larmee
and Julie Delporte
, this year's CCS fellows. Lary Wallace talks to Dick DeBartolo
. Albert Ching talks to Cullen Bunn
* Gary Phillips writes about
Marvel's black superheroes then and now -- then being the Civil Rights and post-Civil Rights era in which many made their initial appearance; now being an age where none of them can seemingly carry a solo comic book.
* all best wishes to Laura Park
* Bill Kartalopoulos on a bunch of different comics
. David Brothers on Dr. Slump
. Rob Clough on Daybreak
. Greg McElhatton on Fairy Tales Of Oscar Wilde Vol. 5
. Christopher Allen on Jack Kirby's Spirit World
. J. Caleb Mozzocco on Green Lantern Corps: The Weaponer
. Matt Seneca on Chimera
. Charles Hatfield on To Get Her
. Neil Gaiman talks to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
* I always find it odd when someone writes about the entirety of comics, and all of their examples come from one small group of them
. I'm sure the article in question is fun, but it was hard for me to do more than scan after I noticed that. That's kind of jerky, I know.
* Ben Morse writes about
the first X-Men
comic he read and why it worked for him.
* well, that's sort of creepy
* Beau Smith writes on the comic book's last stand
. If the comic book is going down, I personally hope I get to stick around to see Smith play Warren Oates in that scene from near the end of The Wild Bunch
* it's the dog that makes this drawing
* oh to live wherever one has to live to have Max illustrations
pop up in your reading material.
* finally, I am greatly appreciative of reader Robert Gilmour writing in to present his opinion on this site's coverage of Spain Rodriguez
. I don't agree with the thrust of his letter, but I'm always happy to run a dissenting point of view presented in a classy, responsible way.
posted 10:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives