December 4, 2012
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* we are coming up on the deadline for this year's Jay Kennedy Memorial Scholarship application
. I miss Jay.
* Kevin Cortez and Estevan Sanchez talk to Jess Smart Smiley
. Matt Emery talks to Sarah Laing
. Chris Thompson talks to Jim Zub and Matt Pizzolo
* I keep on forgetting to link to this sad picture
of 1990s comic books strewn on some beach after that Sandy storm from several weeks back.
* this is clever
. If you don't have a grasp of the context that informs that site, then consider yourself very, very lucky.
* J. Caleb Mozzocco digs into Fear Itself and into Marvel event comics more generally
. That was in the circles of people I talk to about superhero comics a generally not-liked mini-series, mostly -- I think -- for something that Mozzocco brings up, that the story beats for certain characters felt like unearned betrayals of those characters put into the story to ramp-up the drama. If you're like me and I'm guessing like Mozzocco, you kind of see those things as plot points for the series rather than in a wider context, so they're much easier to swallow. I think. I liked that series just fine, and sort of see everything that didn't work about it for people as those places where the series had to kind of make a bid for "event" status in a way Marvel understands that now.
* here's someone putting together a book on nude sexting
, but it's not as salacious as it sounds, I don't think.
* Faith Erin Hicks on working with an editor
* finally, Lauren Davis takes a look at the art of Rebecca Mock
posted 11:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives