September 5, 2013
The Never-Ending, Four-Color Festival: Cons, Shows, Events
By Tom Spurgeon
* Kali Ciesemier writes about
contributing the book plate to this year's big library donation from the Small Press Expo. That is an admirable program, and a handsome plate.
* Baltimore Comic-Con
this weekend. That is one of the most valuable conventions to the comics community with its strong focus on comics-making independent of those works' place in a wider geek-oriented culture. It's also in Baltimore, one of the great, comfortable, fascinating U.S. cities -- one with good food, too. Everyone have fun.
* the first of two Cincinnati cons that are being run one right after the other takes place this weekend
* this weekend is also the Helsinki Comics Festival
, which should have a sizable North American contingent if only for their generous offer of supplying a table and a place to stay for cartoonists from this continent that got themselves there. In fact, I just looked: Patrick McDonnell and Hunt Emerson are great guests; I've never met Emerson. I bet that will be a good show, and I'd love to spend a year no matter my level of involvement in comics otherwise going to some of these European comics shows. You could do six to eight of those really easy, I think.
* Jackie Estrada wrote in after an initial iteration of this post went up to say I forgot to list Salt Lake Comic Con
, which apparently has already sold a bunch of tickets. That wasn't so much a "left out" as it was a "never heard of it." We are a convention nation. If you're there, go see Jackie and husband Batton Lash. They're very nice.
* I would say the majority of the small-press comics community is focused on next weekend's SPX
, the "Camp Comics" of the convention calendar, if you were allowed to drink to excess at summer camp. You can find me defeating Jim Rugg at tetherball, or at the canoes hanging out with Seth.
* this lengthy and photo-festooned Autoptic report
is worth reading if you're interested in that shows or such shows more generally.
* here's video I believe may have been shot at last year's New York Comic Con
* if you wanted additional proof that Emerald City is here to stay and hasn't stopped growing yet, they're selling out of hotel rooms six months out now
* finally, there are more conventions now than I even know about
posted 3:15 am PST
Daily Blog Archives