September 1, 2011
The Never-Ending, Four-Color Festival: Cons, Shows, Events
By Tom Spurgeon
* this weekend is Dragon*Con
, a science fiction and fantasy convention with a devoted following and a significant although not overwhelming comics presence. It also has a reputation, and I don't know how true this is having never been, of being a very social convention. Ralph Bakshi will be a guest at this year's show, and giving out awards at their film festival. Comics guests will include Mike Grell, Peter David, Stan Lee, Don Rosa, Bill Sienkiewicz, Bernie Wrightson and Jim Steranko.
* Fantagraphics and Fantagraphics-related cartoonists will have their usual presence
at Seattle's Labor Day weekend tradition: the long-running, Bumbershoot festival.
* I had a couple of people write in about last weekend's Toronto Fan Expo to say the show decided not to honor press passes for the Saturday of the event, which strikes me as awfully odd and a reason to never plan my weekend around the Toronto Fan Expo, even though Koyama Press was there
as probably were many other folks in whom I'd be interested.
* the Baltimore Comic-Con announced its costume contest winners
. People surely do love the costumes.
* here's a sharply-produced video made at the Philly Alternative Comic-Con
* Alan David Doane warns you off
of the Adirondack ComicFest in favor of the Albany Comic Con.
* Craig Thompson will debut his Habibi
at SPX in a way that benefits the CBLDF
* Metaphrog contributed an article
about their experiences at the comics-savvy Edinburgh International Book Festival for the Guardian
. Sarah McIntyre made a cartoon and had several photos taken in Dave Lasky-approved hats
* Brett Warnock shows off
the designs for the next generation of Top Shelf convention banners.
* finally, I totally missed this spiffy-looking Jim Rugg SPX program cover
posted 11:30 am PST
Daily Blog Archives