February 16, 2011
The Never-Ending, Four-Color Festival: News On Cons, Shows, Events
By Tom Spurgeon
* another great get for TCAF: Usamaru Furuya, in support of Vertical's English-language release of Lychee Light Club
. TCAF organizer Chris Butcher profiles the Genkaku Picasso
. That's shaping up to be another excellent show, and I'm glad I'm all ticketed and pre-paid hotel roomed up.
* Comic-Con International has named its latest round of show guests: Joyce Brabner, Peter Kuper, Paul Levitz, Jerry Robinson, Jeff Smith, J. Michael Straczynski, Peter J. Tomasi, Ashley Wood.
* you can go here
for a PDF discussing the key exhibitors on C2E2's floor. That's going to be an interesting convention, because a lot of what they've needed to do this year is about building a structure that attracts regional fans as opposed to throwing famous and semi-people on top of the show's special guest list until they reach some sort of pop-relevant critical mass. I don't think we'll know how successful that show is going to be until it happens, in other words -- it's the convention itself that's going to have to attract people this year, not the novelty of such a show or the break it represent with Wizard's summer show. I imagine it will also help if the show develops a bit of an identity, at least in industry terms.
* the Emerald City Comicon home page
seems reasonably active and stuffed with various travel-related bargain opportunities. The MoCCA Festival is a month or more further away, but its site seem particularly devoid of news
. The TCAF site is for a show to be held a few weeks after MoCCA, but seems to be pretty active -- I did not know Jim Rugg had canceled
* I missed this one last week, but Stumptown Comics Fest named its first comics award jury
: Mike Allred, Brandon Graham, Laura Hudson, Michael Ring, Jason Leivian. Information on how to be considered for an award is available through that same link.
* finally, and more recently, Stumptown revealed their 2011 poster, by Brandon Graham
posted 6:00 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives