June 12, 2014
The Never-Ending, Four-Color Festival: Shows And Events
By Tom Spurgeon
* that gigantic Denver show
, the special-edition NYCC comics-focused show
, and Oslo
are all up this weekend. There are a bunch of shows this weekend, really.
* Peter Bagge is doing comics this week in Oslo
for the ramp-up to that show. I think that's in Oslo. If it's not in Oslo, it's near Oslo.
* Zainab Akhtar has a buy guide up for ELCAF
* a bunch of people in my general vicinity are talking ahead of time about next weekend's Heroes Con
. That is a very popular show, and has an outright indy/alt element that a lot of similarly well-liked shows don't.
* there was a bunch of material that ran as Festival Extras this week, just as there are likely a couple that will run later today. The ones that ran earlier were a bone marrow drive
linked to Seth Kushner at one of the New York area shows, a nice photoset
from the Clowes exhibit opening weekend at the Wexner Center in Columbus, the Edinburgh Book Festival from the perspective of comics
and NYCC spreading out on the calendar
for their Fall show -- I think a wise move considering they have the exhibitor, professional and guest numbers in the area so that expanding the show won't depend on compelling people from ouf of town to visit longer.
* they're apparently renaming the Eagle Awards that were briefly called the Stan Lee Eagle Awards and now will be called the True Believer Awards
... probably. The exact provenance of the new awards may officially involve a clean break with the previous awards. I'm not a huge fan of awards for the sake of having awards, and I honestly hadn't given the Eagle Awards much thought since their stamp appeared on an X-Men
comic in the late 1970s, but I'm sure they've been important to some folks and may continue to be so.
* CAKE was very, very good to Secret Acres
* AdHouse is psyched for Heroes
* finally, I didn't notice this before CAKE, but it makes total sense that cartoonists like Lucy Knisley will start targeting specific-convention offerings
according to where they are, what they have about to be published, and the place on the calendar.
posted 1:25 am PST
Daily Blog Archives