April 10, 2014
The Never-Ending, Four-Color Festival: Shows And Events
By Tom Spurgeon
* attention is split between a newcomer alt-/indy show, a local show whose proximity to New York brings in a variety of quality guests and a veteran show focused on the small press and through that focus bringing in a lot of indy/alt interest: Linework NW
in Portland, Asbury Park
over in Jersey and SPACE in Columbus
. I wish I could be at either; I wish I could be at both.
* I hadn't noticed this benefit with music
that will also launch Paul Pope's Escapo
; I'm all for comics events with a cause. That's not this weekend but next.
* haven't seen a whole lot about the Comic-Con International hotel lottery, which I suppose means it went as well as possible although I'm sure some people were disappointed while others were delighted. That can be a tough day. Heidi MacDonald noted mid-lottery that downtown hotels went super-quickly
* speaking of San Diego, the Eisner judges met last weekend so we should be getting those nominations soon.
* I can't link directly to the news item, but it looks like
the Long Beach con people have done some general straightening up: new logos, firm dates, what they're calling each show.
* finally, here's a nice report about Gene Yang
speaking recently at Pasadena City College. I've never Yang up on his fee in front of a crowd like that, I don't think, but I have to imagine he's really good at it.
posted 1:25 am PST
Daily Blog Archives