November 10, 2018
You Should Go To CAB Tomorrow And Do These Things
* I am going to Comic Arts Brooklyn (CAB)
tomorrow the 11th for about six hours and you should, too if you're anywhere in the region.
* You should buy as much stuff as you can stand
. There's a year's worth of books out there on that floor, plus about a same-size entire group of books from cartoonists who are new or with whom most of us even close readers are as yet unfamiliar. CAB has my favorite expo floor in comics, and I think it's the strongest show we have for buying things booth to booth, top to bottom. I will be doing a lot of bending over and squinting at books.
* If you don't have a ton of time for a voyage of discovery like this and only a few other shows provide, there are some cheats. Olivier Schrauwen's Parallel Lives
is the buzz book going in; you could do worse than walking out with only that book. Lauren Weinstein's September issue of Frontieir
is still new and is one of the two or three strongest books of this year if not #1. She'll be there, so you can have it signed. I am interested the new Roman Muradov; Muradov is a really talented cartoonist that hasn't had a signature hit as of yet, and one hopes Vanishing Act
might be the one that enters into enough imaginations that he has a strong book to book presence from here on out. And I guarantee you: even with certain books from established publishers from Drawn and Quarterly to Silver Sprocket to Conundrum to Secret Acres, there are going to be 17 more books just as interesting on that floor waiting for you find them. Dive in!
* although I think the show has taken on a more aggressive sales identity: this is New York. There is going to be worthy programming. Three spotlights jump out at me, and I'm going to try and see all three: Schrauwen's, Jim Woodring (Woodring has been great in interviews this year, and Poochytown
is so, so good), and Ariel Schrag interviewed by Hillary Chute, which is a great pairing.
* enjoy yourselves, enjoy New York and I hope to see you in Brooklyn.
posted 8:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives