May 12, 2019
Comics By Request: People, Places In Need Of Funding
By Tom Spurgeon
* several people pulled me aside to say that the recent spate of comics folks -- some prominent -- signing up for Patreons is to secure better terms with the service. I'm sorry I missed it, but I'm also glad it wasn't some spooky conflation of spiritual events.
* this is the first time I didn't hear about any specific fundraiser, although there was a tiny bit of chatter about the 2dCloud effort. In general, there is a giant disconnect at most shows I attend between issues of practical publishing survival and the more complex version same that gestate on Twitter, private chat rooms and more active Facebook pages.
* I don't think anyone didn't
know this at this point, and probably needs to go to a next step in most panels and presentations on same, but the reach/marketing effect of social-media driven pay structures is like 92 percent of the point.
* I was impressed with Zainab Akhtar's TCAF presence and its quick shifting of the basic Shortbox model involving curaton and gathering material together to breaking it out of the box for shows -- and potentially other venues. I was happy to pick up a copy of the publisher's work with Emily Carroll for CXC rather to risk one of the copies we had between us, and I took a long look at some others in a period I'm pledging not to buy for a while. Structure models sometimes get locked in, particularly when they're successful like that one is. That table should be a must-visit at every show.
* finally, I solved my lack of Canadian funds on the floor the old-fashioned way: I made Dustin Harbin loan me $20 and I made a sad face at a publisher until he game me an older comic book for free until I can get it back to them. Don't try this at home.
posted 5:25 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives