August 4, 2015
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* I missed Andrew Wheeler's long take on the Hercules character specifically and the idea of representation at Marvel comics more generally
. I start from a position of not having a ton of interest in those characters to begin with, and identifying in ways that means I don't feel the sharp pang of not being represented in a fantasy world that meant a lot to me at a much young point in my life. Just as a casual consumer I can tell you a rigidly depicted world is a much more boring world, just as a rigidity in voices contributing to that world is almost always a more boring world. Again, I don't understand how such hard choices make sense.
* Sean Gaffney on Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto Vol. 1
. Rob McMonigal on the comics of Kendra Josie Kirkpatrick
* not comics: early evening yesterday someone sent me to this article from Alyssa Rosenberg
on really crappy pay for personal memoir essay writing relative to the enormous place the written-about incidents might have in someone's life. There's some interesting over how to place a value on that kind of thing. I do know it's a different world than a generation ago in that we used to say that everyone had a book in them and now everyone has a Buzzfeed essay. I think a lot of art functions like that and that this process does have a say on what are willing to pay for comics.
* Sarah Mirk profiles Not Funny Ha-Ha
and runs some preview pages. I think that's a book that can do a great deal of social good, and I'm grateful Leah Hayes made it.
* the Trouble With Comics
contributors write about creators that had the most influence in how they perceive the comics form
. Mine is Saul Steinberg, which sounds made up, but it was the biggest break I made between comics as I generally understood them and what was possible with comics.
* I both strongly agree with this and the wider scheme of things care not at all
* James Whitbrook and Gordon Jackson pick ten comics
with no words or next to no words. There are hundreds, I bet, and this is in no way a reporesentative list. No woodcuts, only one manga, no Trondheim, no Jason.
* finally, I hope there are more than this many drawings with the #draw4atena hashtag?
posted 5:05 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives