December 2, 2010
Random Comics News Story Round-Up
* this may be my favorite
of all the kids-reading-comics and comics-on-newsstands vintage photos I've seen, and I've seen dozens. (thx, Devlin Thompson)
* prominent industry blogger Chris Butcher scans and posts
Japanese-language HIV/safe-sex pamphlet art.
* there are time when writing humor about comics on-line seems like it's probably the easiest thing in the world, shooting fish in the barrel with special barrel-fish bullets, and there are times when you read something like this massive post about business cards in superhero comics
and wonder how anyone can assemble such a thing without magic powers.
* Matt Seneca's initial salvo
on Absolute All Star Superman
is something to behold. I like how he tackles the fact that the sucker is really big, and how that changes the way we look at the art.
* not comics: Mark Evanier makes some distinctions
between working at a disadvantage with an eye on gaining advantage and allowing yourself to be screwed. Speaking of Mark, his mix of comics knowledge and passion for musical theater would seem to make him an ideal witness
for all things Spider-Man musical-related.
* Jeet Heer really liked Todd Hignite's writing on Jaime Hernandez
* there's something about Jim Woodring's work that every glimpse of it
plays less like a preview of a forthcoming work and more just like the chance to derive pleasure from some fine cartooning.
* finally, today's Christmas related stuff: Bully is posting a bunch of Archie-related Christmas images this month, if you want to bookmark it
; io9 posts its gift guide
directly; Tom Neely has a holiday sale going on
through his on-line store. The fine cartoonist Jeremy Eaton has his own holiday sale up
, well worth your consideration.
posted 2:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives