May 6, 2014
Bundled, Tossed, Untied And Stacked: Publishing News
By Tom Spurgeon
* this is a prose pubishing announcement but easily related to comics in a couple of big, obvious ways: IDW has announced
that they'll be doing the perennial strong-performing Parker
books, this time around featuring 10 illustrations per novel by Darwyn Cooke -- the artist behind the also IDW-published graphic novel adapatations of Donald Westlake's series. They'll kick things off with a limited edition hardcover made for TCAF, where Cooke will be in attendance. As well as those books have done over the years, I think there's plenty of room for this kind of treatment.
* Bart Beaty's 12-Cent Archie
will be out next Spring. That's a great title.
* one of the Penguin imprints acquired
Tom Sniegoski's graphic novel The Raven's Child
. Sniegoski is a successful working writer perhaps best known to comics fan for his work with series and prose connected to Jeff Smith's Bone
* here's the cover to this Fall's Molly Ostertag
* according to a web site I don't think I've ever seen before
-- so apologies to whomever found it first because I probably got there through one of my peers -- the writer Tsugumi Oba of Death Note
is teaming with the artist Robico (My Little Monster
) on a series called Skip Yamada-kun
, to debut in May. Oba's reputation-making projects were in collaboration with the artist Takeshi Obata, so the new partnership will likely be closely scrutinized on that basis.
* from Anne Koyama's instagram account comes a look
at the forthcoming Patrick Kyle work, Distance Mover
* I missed this C2E2 announcement
: James Stokoe doing an Avengers
-related one-shot. That should be super good-looking.
* another one I missed -- I'm really killing it this Spring -- is that the "Big Guy And Rusty The Robot" feature is going to find purchase in new installments in Dark Horse Presents
. Dark Horse Presents
is like the CBS TV of comics anthologies, and I think that's a good thing.
* the forthcoming Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay collaboration is previewed here
. That looks very attractive.
* the hobby business news and analysis site ICv2.com has a post up providing dates
for a two-volume release of the graphic novel adaptation of Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book
: July and September. Involved are P. Craig Russell as the primary, with Kevin Nowlan, Russell, Tony Harris, Scott Hampton, Galen Showman, Jill Thompson, and Stephen B. Scott as the chapter contributors.
* to the shock of I'm guessing not a lot of people -- although hey, maybe there are nuances that made this unlikely -- BOOM! will be shepherding an Uncle Grandpa comic into existence
. Likely, unlikely, whatever; I imagine it will certainly be welcome.
* finally, it's always nice to see a new Darryl Cunningham cover,
this one for his big October 2014 release.
posted 1:25 am PST
Daily Blog Archives