February 3, 2008
FFF Results Post #107 -- Strip Plots
Five For Friday #107 Results
On Friday afternoon, participating CR
readers were asked to "Name Five Memorable Plot Lines From Comic Strips." Here are the results.
1. Charlie Brown gets a baseball-pattern rash on his head.
2. Calvin believes he brought a snowman to life... and it's evil.
3. Captain Easy and Wash Tubbs are impressed into service on a whaling ship.
4. Thompson is in trouble.
5. Farley dies.
1. Mr. O'Malley leaves Barnaby
2. Mr. Am
3. Plunder Island
4. There was a great Bloom County storyline that I followed daily as a teenager where Bill the Cat (I think) manufactured and distributed an illicit hair tonic; it was a brilliant satire of the War on Drugs. It really blew my mind as a 16-year-old (or so). I've never read it since, but would like to.
5. Maggie and Jiggs on vacation
1. Linus keeps forgetting to bring the eggshells to Miss Othmar's class.
2. Calvin greases up his hair, paints a face on his belly and gets his school picture taken.
3. Dick Tracy battles the Brow, who ends up getting his misshapen head stuck in his own spiked-clamp torture device, then finally dies impaled on a flag pole flying (what else?) old glory.
4. Matt Groening reprints his junior high journal in "Life in Hell." (Collected in the old "School is Hell" book)
5. The Garfield sequence where he might have died
1. B.D. loses his helmet -- and his leg.
2. Tracer Bullet.
3. Rob heads to Canada to forget the Red Sox and to introduce Satchel to his parents.
4. Thor invents the wheel. And the brake. Kinda.
5. Duke as governor of Samoa... no, wait as Ambassador to China. Redskins' coach. Trying to rescue the Iranian hostages. Or the zombie storyline...
1. Frosty the Snowman, the Stoopid Jerk and Tuffy conspire to blow up the Rockerfella Mansion with snowballs packed with sticks of dynamite.
2. Boner and several members of the crew of his ark are so bored they have a contest to see which of them can become the filthiest slob.
3. Steve Canyon gets amnesia while undercover and is tricked into working for nazis. He sports a bald head, a big bushy blond beard, glassy blue eyes and a nazi tattoo on his back.
4. Marcie gets so fed up with the "male chauvinist pig" remarks of Thibault during a baseball game that she finally punches him in the head, knocking him for a loop.
5. Mooch the cat is visited by an angel and looses one of his nine lives.
1. The last stand of Flattop Jones
2. Snoopy faces death by icicle
3. Mr. O'Malley runs for Congress
4. Walt Wallet finds a baby on his doorstep
5. Popeye becomes a dictator
* Achewood -- The Great Outdoor Fight!
* Doonesbury -- Hard to pick just one, but the extended storyline involving B.D. coming home crippled from Iraq is currently the best thing on your daily comics page.
* Calvin and Hobbes -- Calvin finds a dead bird
* Dick Tracy -- The Pruneface storyline (I think he appeared only once)
* For Better or For Worse -- Lawrence comes out of the closet
1. The monster icicle hanging from Snoopy's house.
2. Andy Lippincott Dying of AIDS (coinciding with the release of Pet Sounds on CD)
3. Opus rescuing his mother
4. Spaceman Spiff
5. Not Me and his floozy cohort Ida Know (what I like to call a reoccurring plot line)
1. Calvin transmogrifies himself into a tiger
2. Little Nemo tours Slumberland with the Princess
3. Sky Masters returns from space and lands on an island of cannibals
4. Jason Fox prepares for Halloween (any given year)
5. Brent Sienna tries to buy an iPhone
1. Calvin and the baby raccoon (Calvin & Hobbes)
2. BD meets Phred the terrorist (Doonesbury)
3. The tragic tale of Aldo Kelrast, Mary's would-be suitor (Mary Worth)
4. Charlie Brown's ill-advised attempt to steal home (Peanuts)
5. Liz reconnects wtih Anthony (For Better Or For Worse)
1. Farley's death (For Better or For Worse)
2. Jason awaits opening of Star Wars Episode One (FoxTrot)
3. Brent proposes at Jade at Comic-Con (PvP)
4. Charlie Brown pines for red-haired girl (Peanuts)
5. The Adventures of Spaceman Spiff (Calvin & Hobbes)
1) Terry and Pat meet Burma for the first time -- after hearing St. Louis Blues playing on a phonograph on a "deserted" island.
2) Skeezix is kidnapped.
3) Moomin finds his parents, having thought them lost in the spring cleaning.
4) Popeye beats the crap out of a cow to show how tough he is.
5) Nemo, Flip, and a Jungle Imp utterly destroy a miniature New York City doppelganger.
1. BD loses a leg in Doonesbury
2. Opus goes in search of his mom in Bloom County
3. The Great Pumpkin, Peanuts
4. Calvin fights Moe the Bully, in C&H
5. Duke gets stranded on an island with Miss Huan, Doonesbury (yes, it's two from the same strip, but it's classic)
1. The death of Raven Sherman
2. Popeye's search for his father.
3. Captain Easy and Wash Tubbs return home after their first adventure together (a very impressive storyline, often overlooked in favor of the strip's more action-packed sequences, in which Wash Tubbs slowly discovers he's no longer interested in his old life and hometown sweetheart. I think this is more or less at the same time in which we learn Easy's real name, William Lee, but I may be mixing up two different stories in my mind.)
4. Willie Garvin thinks Modesty Blaise's dead and methodically wipes out a house full of criminals (at the end of "The Gabriel Set-Up")
5. Fearless Fosdick gets married, leading to Li'l Abner's marriage.
Five For Friday #107 -- Name Five Memorable Plot Lines From Comic Strip
1. Pogo -- "The Jute Mill Is Exploded!!!"
2. Luann -- Bernice gets involved with a guy who turns out to be a druggie
3. Peanuts -- Deadly icicle hangs over Snoopy in his doghouse
4. Odd Bodkins -- First trip to Magic Cookie Land
5. Lil' Abner -- The Kick-Me Shmoos (a Shmoo story with an unexpectedly chilling ending)
1. Little Orphan Annie is on trial for the murder of Mrs. Bleating-Hart and faces the death penalty.
2. Popeye goes searching for his long lost dad.
3. The residents of Coconino start drinking Tiger Tea, with fascinating consequences (Krazy Kat).
4. The Wallets hire a white maid who starts bossing around Rachel Brown, causing her to quit in anger (Gasoline Alley).
5. Charlie Brown's head develops a stigmata that makes it look like a baseball.
1. Plunder Island
2. Michael's best friend reveals he's gay
3. Calvin clones himself and makes his angelic doppeldanger do all his work for him.
4. A butterfly lands on Peppermint Patty's nose. Marcie tells her it turned into an angel after it flies away.
5. Aldo stalks Mary Worth.
Thanks to all that participated. As always, joke responses greatly appreciated but may or may not be published, or published as letters, for reasons you can e-mail me about, and missives with more than five responses truncated. Please be on the lookout for the next Five for Friday.
posted 12:00 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives