Home > Letters to CR
Matthew Wave On Five For Friday #195—Musical Anthologies
posted February 6, 2010
So, last Friday I missed, once again, a terrific Five for Friday topic, due to spotty internetÂ access,Â tho reading the results
was cool. Some responses:
If I were a financially stable publisher, Kurt Busiek's Court and Spark
Project would be happening.
I have a Bob Dylan (I think it's called Bob Dylan Revisited Illustrated
or some awkward name like that)Â comic book anthology waiting for me in my pull box, people -- so get looking!
All those lists, and not one bit of love for Patti? What is wrong with you people?
Still,Â pleasantly surprisedÂ to see some of my favorites chosen, among others: Suzanne Vega (at least twice!), Bob Mould/Husker Du, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair (for instance, isn't a completeÂ Exile In Guyville adaptation entirelyÂ in order?), Carly Simon, X, Kate Bush, The Shaggs (stolen from ME!), CCR, John Prine.
Especially delighted to see that last one show up, and it made me start "casting":
1. He Was In Heaven Before He Died, by Sabrina Jones
2. Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow), by Joel Orff
3. Christmas in Prison, by Penny Van Horn
4. Fish and Whistle, by Mark Martin
5. Sam Stone, by Robert Crumb
6. Grampa Was a Carpenter, by Carol Tyler
7. Some Humans Ain't Nice, by Peter Kuper
8. Lake Marie, by Francesca Ghermandi
9. Day Is Done, written by Mike Mignola, drawn by John Severin
10. Automobile, by Jim Woodring.
The list, of course, could go on and on.
Oh, and my response to the Five for Friday? Avoiding names already chosen (I think):
1. Patti Smith (of course)
2. Big Star
3. Nanci Griffith
4. Sly and the Family Stone
5. Smoke (as in Benjamin Smoke, not the apparently 5,000 other acts with the name...)