March 16, 2011
A Few Comics-Related Japan Crisis Updates
* I totally forgot the cartoonist Ryan Cecil Smith is in Japan. He's fine
* Keith Knight's cartoon on the whole matter is here
* while Internet rumors indicating that Satoshi Tajiri was a victim of the earthquake/tsunami were authoritatively denied in several quarters
, they persist
for other creators, notably Yuko Shimizu and Aoyama Gosho. I would definitely definitely definitely describe this a story about the nature of Internet rumor-mongering until some actual news gets reported, but their nature -- why Tajiri, exactly? -- fascinates.
* the cartoonist Lars Martinson is donating proceeds
from direct sale of his Japan-focused graphic novels to related charities.
* the CBR
group blog Robot 6 notes
Los Angeles manga/anime participation in a fund-raising effort. Here's an update
on a charitable effort facilitated at least in part through the All About Manga
site. Here's a round-up
of related efforts at Daily Cross Hatch
* major kudos to Tokyopop's Stuart Levy for lending a hand on the ground
in the affected area.
* the news clearinghouse Anime News Network has a list up
of delayed or otherwise-affected manga and anime releases. That same site has two valuable, continue-to-be-updated posts: an industry check-ins list
, and a canceled events/exhibitions list
* a stand-alone article at ANN discusses the cancellation
of two sort-of competing events, including the Tokyo International Anime Fair, due to damage to the facility and restrictions on air travel.
* finally, a few of you sent in links to the official Viz statement from Monday
posted 2:00 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives