November 14, 2016
Bundled, Tossed, Untied & Stacked: Publishing News
By Tom Spurgeon
* Vice has up some work
featuring Fletcher Hanks as the bound volume collecting his works under the curation of Paul Karasik starts to make its market presence known. That should be a good holiday gift for several people. Hanks' work is in the public domain, so you have some options on how to experience the work here and there, so this kind of collection becomes really valuable.
* I guess there's a comic featuring as its lead the Jim Starlin character Thanos
. Cosmic big-boss bad guys seem to me pretty limited in the kinds of stories you can tell with them, but I guess the Darth Vader comics sold pretty well. I liked how Thanos worked as a bad guy in the 1970s comics as a kind of coda to the 1960s books, but I have a pretty precious way of thinking about the Marvel comics in general.
* here's a trailer for something called Ether
* there's a brief summary of a forthcoming Paul Gaugin-focused comic at The Beat
* Dan Vado describes in some detail
his future publishing plans with SLG over at Johanna Draper Carlson's place. You'll have to read through the comments section.
* a Highlander series in 2017
. One supposes, by the rule of Highlander
, that there won't be any spin-off series.
* finally, NBM put out a press release they'll be publishing Sandrine Revel's biography of Glenn Gould. Here's a profile of the book from its European publishing period
. I like that as a publishing strategy for them, carving out some space with mainstream-focused, translated biographies.
posted 3:25 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives