July 13, 2015
CCI Publishing News Round-Up: Comics Stories That Caught My Eye
Here's a brief round-up of publishing news stories that have caught this site's attention in and around the week of the mighty Comic-Con International
. Hopefully, this will be updated for every day of the convention. My organizing principle will be the last name of the principal person involved, or company. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully by Monday this is a fat little wallet of comics publishing happenings.
* DC and IDW plan on a crossover
between their Batman '66
title and IDW's comic starring the characters from the 1960s TV show The Avengers
. No creators are mentioned in the one article I've seen.
* comiXology announces a distribution deal with Delcourt
, bringing their enormous library into North American hands in a way that mirrors a publishing deal and might have implications for how that work and other French-language work is received here.
* the Vertigo imprint at DC Comics announced a giant battery of titles to be introduced in a months-spanning run of new #1 issues
. Darwyn Cooke, Gail Simone and Gilbert Hernandez are among those involved; the mainstream coverage is focusing on a new Lucifer
series, which will support/be supported by a new TV show version.
* Gerry Duggan and Phil Noto will be doing a Chewbacca series for Marvel
* Scott Dunbier confirmed during the Artists Edition panel that IDW would be doing a second Kamandi
AE, with issues #11-16. He admits this isn't a surprise for those readers that noticed a "Volume One" on the cover of the first one.
* there will be a Star Wars crossover event called Vader Down
. Creators involved include Kieron Gillen, Jason Aaron, Salvador Larroca, Mark Brooks and Mike Deodato.
* veteran alt-comics publisher Fantagraphics
sent out a press release right before Comic-Con confirming they would be publishing a ninth volume of the generation-defining (as much as that's a possibility anymore) Kramers Ergot
anthology. That's the one edited by cartoonist Sammy Harkham where every volume after three has been something of a publishing event. The ninth volume will boast the usual all-star line-up.
* another round of Lady Killer from Dark Horse, this time a solo writing effort for artist Joelle Jones
. That one starts in March.
* DC will be doing one of those Earth One books for their Aquaman character,
by Francis Manapul.
* the writer Grant Morrison has been named Editor-In-Chief at Heavy Metal
. He will also be working on Multiversity Too
* Oni Press announced three new projects at their spotlight panel
: Over The Surface
, Natalie Nourigat; Another Castle
, Andrew Wheeler and Paulina Ganucheau, The Mighty Zodiac
, J. Torres and Corin Howell.
* an army of new series were announced at Image Expo
the week before the show, including the cartoonist Bryan Lee O'Malley writing a comic book called Snotgirl
* Matt Rosenberg, Alex Segura and Gisele will be introducing the Ramones to the Archie characters
* Raina Telgemeier announced
that her next book for Graphix will be Ghosts
, and that it will be out in Fall 2016.
* Lucas Turnbloom and Greg Grunberg will be doing Dream Jumper with Scholastic
. They project that as a series. A lot of their presentation at their party last night was focused on imminent work from the Holms and from Craig Thompson.
* Boom! announces Cyanide And Happiness trade
just ahead of the big show. If you're unfamiliar, that's the webcomic from Kris Wilson, Rob DenBleyker, and Dave McElfatric.
posted 12:05 am PST
Daily Blog Archives