January 8, 2017
Comics By Request: People, Places In Need Of Funding
By Tom Spurgeon
* Steve Ditko is such an admirable figure for continuing to make comics his way
. I feel 47 percent better every time I see a kickstarter from him slip over its initial ask.
* Christy Blanch I believe owns and she certainly runs my hometown comics shop
(I can recommend the Olive Burger at Savage's Ale House, next door). She notes in her latest column that there's a lot of fear and discouragement in her corner of the retailing world about the state of retail 2017, the fundamental ability of stores to remain open for the calendar year ahead. She encourages you
to visit your local store, buy things from them, and don't abuse them with orders you never pick up. I concur. I'm going to be a weekly comics shopper this winter for sure.
* speaking of shops, Perry Plush's gofundme
on behalf of his Pacific NW iconic retail establishment Zanadu has only reached about 1/6 of its goal a month since it launched. If you're a Seattle person that has benefited from that shop I hope you'll contribute something. If you're in a financial position to do more, it might be a time to reach out.
* as I know nothing about any comics that exist between Toronto and Vancouver, this 'zine offering caught my eye
* Ben Dunn continues
to make solid use of his back catalog and crowd-funding's reach to core fans.
* finally, it's nice to see the Universal Fan Con fully funded
. I hope they do well.
posted 3:25 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives