July 7, 2019
Comics By Request: People, Projects In Need Of Funding
By Tom Spurgeon
* Doug Gray quietly announced a kickstarter for legendarily unfinished project The Eye Of Mongombo
. I would love to see that happen, and so would a bunch of us my age. I just kind of like it when a project comes back, too. You don't see a lot of projects working the indie/alt influenced sphere of well-crafted genre projects, and there was a time that was a dominant part of comics. Here's a first chapter
* the community did a fine job helping Dustin Harbin and his smashed face, but $17K is still a rough burden to carry
. I'd like to see what money Dustin has left going towards a secure future. I'd give him the money myself if I had it.
* as we enter an era where we might be asked to more frequently make direct payment on behalf of projects we find useful admirable, remember the The Nib was cut loose from its business partner about ten days ago and could use as much fortification via subscription as the audience can muster
* industry veteran Larry Shell could use the help of other industry veterans getting him to a point where he can do munch needed repairs in order to keep his house and make it livable
while doing so. I know these kinds of asks can be tough, which is why I would hope his direct peer group would do the bulk of the giving.
* here's another laudable ask, from the longtime publisher Domino Books. They've been doing a lot of publishing scraping every last dollar together themselves for years now, and this initial ask is still super-modest. Also, that's a publisher with a very strong aesthetic identity. Please check them out
posted 5:25 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives