March 28, 2010
FFF Results Post #203—Sounds
On Friday, CR
readers were asked to, "Name Five Sound-Effects, Sounds or Noises From The Comics You'd Like To Hear In Person, Or That You Were Happy To Hear In A Movie." This is how they responded.
3. Black Bolt whispers (from the next county)
4. Superman's scream as he punches his way through much of the Scrubb Armada
5. The cash register noise that accompanies anyone's eyes becoming dollar signs
Uriel A. Duran
1) Aquaman walking around in his wet costume
3) The voice of Dream of the Endless
4) The 'boom' of Boom Tubes
5) The engine of any vehicle designed by Jack Kirby
2. The sound made when Don Blake's cane hits the ground.
3. The sound made when the Hulk's expanding feet blow out Bruce Banner's shoes.
4. The mechanical noises made MODOK.
5. The sound of Scrooge McDuck diving through his giant pile of money.
1) Thwip! (Web-shooters)
2) Thrakakoom! (Or any other Mjolnir effect)
3) Whatever sound Starfire's hair makes when she flies (just curious).
4) The sound that Arm Fall Of Boy's arms make when they fall off.
5) The Boom! of a Boom Tube opening.
1. The "SHFFF" of skysurfers on powerboards in Judge Dredd
2. The "BOOM" of a Boom Tube from New Gods
3. The "DOOM" of Surtur forging his sword in Thor
4. Black Canary's "canary cry"
5. The Hyper-Historic Headbang, from an old Alan Moore Future Shock.
3. pfaff (Batman's grapnel firing)
4. The Batcycle's rumbling in Dark Knight
1. The boomtube "BOOM"
2. Buddy Bradley vomiting
3. Maggie's jeans ripping
4. Any sound effect lettered by John Workman, particularly his run on Walt Simonson's Thor (I was always impressed by his Klang!s and KRAKOW!s)
5. Any or all of the sound effects from Far Arden ("Punch!" is a good start)
1. Jack Mercer's Popeye mutterings in the Fleischer theatrical cartoons
2. Robin Williams' Popeye Mutterings
3. BLOIT! (Popeye's Muscle Popping Up)
4. floof floofiTy flif flif flof da-flaf! (Many Smoke Signals Rising Quickly)
5. Poit! (Cerebus popping in and out of existence)
Brought to you in part (#3 and 4) by the Don Martin Dictionary of Sound Effects
1. Opus Tuba Solo
3. The cluck of the Whiffle Hen
4. Wuffa Wuffa Wuffa
5. Plexus Ranger's Buzz-Knucksâ„¢
1) SHKLURCH! -- A hippie wringing out juice from his beard. The great Don Martin from MAD #139
2) CHOK! -- From Master of Kung Fu, as I recall.
3) SHLIK SKLUSH SHLAKLE SPLAK -- Hanging wallpaper. One more (of dozens) from the mind of Martin, Mad #112
4) SCROITCH! -- Tubby playing the violin from issue #4.
5) Those little hearts floating above a charter's head when they're lovestruck.
1) "K-POW" in the Scott Pilgrim movie trailer
2) Venus's siren song from Agents of Atlas
3) "HWWWWEDGIE," the sound of Thor giving Hercules a wedgie in Incredible Hercules
4) Scrooge McDuck diving into the coins in his money bin
5) Whatever it was Superman sang in Final Crisis
1. An Invincible "Cha-THOOM!" punch
2. A Boom Tube opening
3. The inimitable "BA-THROOM!"
4. A M.O.D.O.K. brain blast
5. Anything for which Todd Klein had to develop a new typeface
Justin J. Major
1. The Batmobile accelerating (any version)
2. Surtur forging "Twilight", the gigantic "Sword of Doom" (Walt Simonson's Thor)
3. Ape Sex (Love and Rockets)
4. Thwip! (Spider-Man)
5. The Infinity Horn (Dreadstar)
* The wind blowing through Tintin's Tibetan cave: WIUUUUW
* Mr. Natural being fellated in the desert by Big Baby: MMPGH MPGH MPGH SMURCH GORP SLUP *BLORP*
* Cerebus walking hip deep in snow to find out the deciding vote: WUFFAWUFFAWUFFAWUFFAWUFFAWUFFA
* Captain America hitting a robot with his shield: WANK!
* A Don Martin supermarket collapsing, in MAD #115: FAGROON KLUBBLE KLUBBLE
1. Whatever Superman was singing at the end of Final Crisis
2. Krakkaboom (or any John Workman lettered sound effects from Simonson's Thor run - from a distance)
3. Snap Ploobadoof
4. Ktang (from Capt. Marvel's nega bands)
1. Superman's Song To Save The Multiverse (Final Crisis)
2. The Boom Tube (New Gods)
3. Mary Jane Watson's Laugh (Spider-Man)
4. Doop's Doop-Speak (X-Force/X-Statix)
5. The chime of the F-Sharp Bell (Green Lantern)
1. Woodstock's dialogue
2. Jimmy Olsen's signal watch: "zee zee zee..."
3. Starfire's starbolts: "SKREEEEE"
4. The Boom Tube
5. The "ZIP-POW" of Ignatz' brick to Krazy's head
3. The guns from american flagg
4. The boing from male excitedness made by tex avery wolves
5. The klang of cap's shield when it bounces off a room full of AIM henchmen
2. PFFFT-FRACK! POP ---SPROiNG-GING
3. FLUK GROON GROON GROON GROON SPLAZITCH SPLAZATCH
4. GLADINK BZZZT KLADWAK SPROINK FWAK KAZIK
5. Any other sound effect conceived of by Don Martin
1. That satisfying "SKREEEeeeee!" sound when Magnus, Robot Fighter decapitates a robot with his bare hands
2. The equally satisfying "Gunch!" of a Bode' lizard getting his head and/or 'nads crushed
3. "Gnnyaarrrggghhh!" as someone dies in a CREEPY or EERIE comic
4. "Toot! Tweet! Bonk!" as the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. get stoned
5. ... and as Don Martin so eloquently put it: "Oot Gackle! Oot Geek!"
1. Jesse Custer's "Voice of God" from Preacher
2. The "Papa Ooo Mow Mow" of the Somnambutol Snowballs in American Flagg!
3. Batroc the Leaper's alleged French accent
4. Banshee's scream
5. Also from Preacher: Arseface's voice
2. The whirring of a batarang through the air
3. "BLAM BLAM BLAM"
4. The click of Morpheus turning the key to the gates of Hell
5. The sound of a banana peel slip
posted 12:00 am PST
Daily Blog Archives