January 11, 2015
Links, Statements And Notes As They Relate To The Charlie Hebdo Killings
* this went up on twitter a few days ago, but Georges Wolinski or at least the Wolinski family had/has an instagram account
. A lot of family stuff, including his widow (they were married 44 years) and a shot of the empty work space.
* the person behind the site The Shittiest Editorial Cartoon Of The Moment uses the story
as a chance to beat on US editorial cartoonists for seeking safety and trying not to offend anyone.
* the Angouleme Festival is putting memorial cartoons on their site
* Albert Uderzo releases two cartoons in support
. I've had some people tell me that these aren't new cartoons, but they are lovely.
* this is the most strained pivot I've seen yet
* here's a second cartoon from the Crumb household
* this Fareed Zakaria op-ed
on the underpinnings of the notion of blasphemy as it may have informed a world view that may have been in play with the Charlie Hebdo
killings is much-traveled but fairly succinct and with a wider point about certain legal structures which reinforce these notions in a damaging way within certain countries.
* Milo Manara remembers his friend Georges Wolinski
, and provides his opinion more generally on what happened.
* there have been several articles rotating content on-line
about various cartoons in newspapers that serve Muslim communities and from Muslim cartoonists condeming the attacks.
* speaking of which, here's a radio snippet where a host crushes a guy
for the suggestion that muslims need apologize for the actions of the Charlie Hebdo
* I found the Wolinski instagram account through this article from Sweden
, well worth the time to read in full if you have a good translator. It talks about the tradition a bit, and tells a few funny stories about Wolinski including what he once asked be done with his ashes.
* finally, here are a couple of Steve Bell cartoons about the killings. (1
) And then one from Martin Rowson
posted 7:55 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives