April 4, 2015
Your 2015 Doug Wright Awards Nominees; Merle “Ting” Tingley Becomes Giant Of The North
The Doug Wright Awards
has announced a strong slate of nominees for its 2015 program, honoring the best in Canadian cartooning. The DWAs have also named Merle "Ting" Tingley as this year's inductee to the Giants Of The North Canadian Cartoonist Hall Of Fame.
The DWAs are limited in terms of the number of awards they give out, which tends to result in each category being stacked with heavy-hitters. It's that way this year. The nominees are:
* Ant Colony, by Michael DeForge (Drawn & Quarterly)
* Fatherland, by Nina Bunjevac (Jonathan Cape/Random House)
* Safari Honeymoon, by Jesse Jacobs (Koyama Press)
* The People Inside, by Ray Fawkes (Oni Press)
* This One Summer, by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki (Groundwood/First Second)
The Doug Wright Spotlight Award aka "The Nipper" (for cartoonists deserving wider recognition)
* Aaron Costain, for Entropy #10
* Elisabeth Belliveau for One Year in America (Conundrum Press)
* Julie Delporte, for Everywhere Antennas (Drawn & Quarterly)
* Meags Fitzgerald, for Photobooth: A Biography (Conundrum Press)
* Simon Roy for Tiger Lung (Dark Horse)
* Sophie Yanow, for War of Streets and Houses (Uncivilized Books)
Pigskin Peters Award (unconventional, experimental, avant-garde)
* Comics Collection 2010-2013
and Less than Dust
by Julien Ceccaldi
* Great Success! 1983-2013
by Henriette Valium
* New Comics #3-5
by Patrick Kyle
* Undocumented: The Architecture of Migrant Detention
by Tings Chak
(The Architecture Observer)
" by Connor Willumsen
Tingley is currently 93 years old. A fixture of Canadian editorial cartooning in the second half of the 20th Century, Tingley published in the Free Press
of Southern Ontario from 1948 to 1986. He was also syndicated to 60 newspapers across Canada. He is well known for his mascot "Luke Worm," which he hid in his cartoons allowing kids a secondary level of enjoyment in trying to find him. A second annual festival in his honor will be held in London, Ontario from late April to early May.
This year's jury is set to include Fiona Smyth, Zach Worton and Conan Tobias.
This year's nominating committe was Jerry Ciccoritti, Barbara Postema, Sean Rogers, Geneve Firanski and Chester Brown.
It is the awards program's 11th year and takes place the Saturday night of the Toronto Comics Arts Festival, which this year will be May 9.
Congratulations to all nominees.
picture of Ting supplied by the DWAs
posted 7:00 pm PST
Daily Blog Archives